Thursday, March 31, 2011

Teachers

If you don't know, I'm going into the crazy profession of teaching. It's exciting for me, but others think I'm crazy. They tell me that it's a dead-end job with mediocre pay. But, what they don't realize is that teachers mold us into what we are. Without teachers we would not be where we are today.

So it really bothers me to see teachers, and other public workers, getting the shaft by legislature. The legislature is trying to take away public workers' collective bargaining rights. It's completely unfair. Teachers don't make six figures, even after benefits. People say that teachers don't have to work during the summer. This is partially true; teachers do things during the summer to get ready for the next year. Another false statement is that teachers have an eight hour job. This is also false. Most teachers I know get to the school around 7:00 AM and don't leave until at least 5:00 PM. That's ten hours.

If the government wants to cut salaries, look at professional athletes. Why the hell do professional athletes make more money than the President of the United States? Something doesn't make much sense there.

No comments:

Post a Comment